Fall News 2020: Sunny news as the Days Get Shorter
llt.ltd creative, strategic branding & communication
FALL NEWS 2020
The Body Practice™ powered by Aspen Shakti
Destination for Fitness | Born and Birthed in Aspen | Revolution, Movement, Obsession
Reopening in December | In the studio – maximum of 15 people per class.
Introducing: THE BODY PRACTICE™ powered by Aspen Shakti | This practice truly evolved from Aspen Shakti founder Jayne Gottlieb’s 10 years of musical theater and monologue work, acting experience and a decade in the yoga and fitness world. THE BODY PRACTICE™ helps participants move and reshape their internal energy and frequency. The result is bodies, words, thoughts, and actions align and reflect this energetic transformation. This is the new ‘in shape’ and “360 degrees of fitness” breath, music, movement to change the internal energy.
- THE BODY OPEN – A yoga and breath-based class blending method, movement lexicon and philosophy, synchronized to the beat of the music to elevate practitioner’s body self-awareness and alignment.
- THE BODY STRONG – A high-cardio yoga and HIIT-based full body workout to strengthen, challenge, and wake up every part of the body. Roots in vinyasa yoga, plyometrics, HIIT, ice-climbers, kickboxing, capoeira, martial arts and resistance training.
- THE BODY ALIVE – Ultimate embodiment practice, with roots in yoga, African dance, high intensity cardio training, hip hop, capoeira, Bollywood, Tahitian, and modern dance, shaking and isolated muscle strengthening.
- THE BODY RESTORED – Luxurious and restorative practice designed to open the body and breath to gently warm the body which sets the stage for deep stretching, elongation, and a release of tension or stiffness.
- THE BODY STILL – Meditation-based experience designed to prepare the body to sit comfortably in silence when the mind softens and quiets. Students can expect a breath practice, a very brief physical practice, mantra and time for stillness.
REIMAGINED! The Annual Fall Challenge Oct. 1-31 – in person + online
NEW! Circular mats – out of the box, on a circle.
Can’t get to the studio? Stay in shape inside your own home with Aspen Shakti & The Body Practice™: Join Aspen’s fitness obsession no matter where you are in the world LIVESTREAM and archived classes HERE.
Aspen Custom Vans
Road trips are the travel trend for 2020 and beyond.
Take the high road now that travel is back on.
STAYING STATESIDE? GET AWAY FROM IT ALL WITH ASPEN CUSTOM VANS
Friends, couples, or families that road trip together — stay together — safely! See the country: Book a weekend or long-term getaway originating/ending in Aspen — anywhere within driving distance — in a 4×4 Mercedes Sprinter Aspen Custom Van — and you will have an unforgettable road trip experience.
Custom Conversions Build + Available to Rent -Photos Available
Check out the new builds! https://www.aspencustomvans.com/van-conversions
- Meet Grey Wolf – the perfect family van | 2018 170 WB Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van New 2018 Sprinter 2500 with 1500 miles, built to seat and sleep 2 adults and 2 kids. The bed was built with bike storage in mind, adding flares for sideways sleeping. Find out how to live the #vanlife all through the winter –
About Aspen Custom Vans -Own, rent or remodelfrom a fleet of customized4x4 Mercedes Sprinter vans. Functional, custom-designed, and attractive, these vans are built-out with every luxury in mind. www.aspencustomvans.com | More 2020/21 News
ASPEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY & ASPEN PUBLIC RADIO
Colorado Community Shares Heartbreaking & Uplifting Stories from Quarantine
Aspen-area students shared their stories from ‘shelter-in-place’ during the pandemic as an assignment for the class. These stories are incredibly moving, heartbreaking and humorous all at once. Similar “collecting” efforts are popping up across the country. It has been fascinating to see the creativity of news organizations, history organizations, libraries and other groups as they develop new ways to both document the pandemic and the unprecedented circumstances, as well as connect communities that are physically separated.
CORONAVIRUS STORYTELLING INITIATIVE
Residents Called to Submit Stories of Triumph and Adversity From Quarantine
- Aspen Public Radio and Aspen Historical Society are asking readers from the community to help capture ‘history in the making’ by contributing audio recordings to “Quarantine Stories: Recording History,” a community oral history project.
- Record stories as a voice memo on your phone and email it to: email@example.com or call 970-812-3726 and leave your story as a voicemail.
- Selections continue to be broadcast on Aspen Public Radio as on-air features and featured on the Aspen Public radio website.
Stories are still being collected and the community can now listen to the stories that have been submitted thus far on APR’s listening library page: Listen to Quarantine Stories
Fresh, New Face Bringing Great Experience To Our Valley
Aspen Public Radio News Director Ariel Van Cleave comes to the Roaring Fork Valley as a reporter, producer and host. Before joining Aspen Public Radio, Van Cleave acted as Senior Editor for Audio at Chicago’s lauded public radio station, WBEZ. She’s also been named to the board of the Public Media Journalists Association and has contributed reporting to public radio stations across the West and Midwest.
Learn more about how Van Cleave brings her storied history in the West to community-focused public radio in Aspen: “I realized it’s always that drive to try new things and experiment, and to be wary when someone says, “we’ve always done it this way.’ Innovation is key to building an audience and keeping an audience. Anytime you can try out new things it’s great and small places will let you do that. Learn more about Ariel Van Cleave
- Professional goat herder Lani Malmberg and her herd of 1,200 Spanish cashmere goats help with fire mitigation: Full story here
- More than 800 seasonal workers are banned from coming to the Roaring Fork Valley as part of the J-1 visa program: Full story here
- Online format has been particularly challenging for music instructors: Full story here
About Aspen Public Radio’s mission is to support, nourish, and enrich the community by providing informative, entertaining, and educational radio and digital programming in a reliable and professional manner. More about Aspen Public Radio News.
Ski With Kim
At 60, Professional Skier Kim Reichhelm Shows No Signs of Slowing Down #Zeroto60
Story Idea: #Zeroto60 For over 30 years, Kim Reichhelm has been hosting ski trips around the world. Approaching her 60th birthday, she reflects on a decades long skiing career, overcoming injuries, and learning to be a beginner later in life. Reichhelm’s surfing career started in Baja, Mexico when she was 35 years old, putting her in the position of “trying to get comfortable with the uncomfortable feeling of being challenged.”
SKI WITH KIM HAS THE CAPABILITY TO FULLY CUSTOMIZE TRIPS FOR ANY DATES AND LOCATION: Kim strongly believes that being outside, recreating, exercising, and enjoying nature are important to staying positive and uplifted. Seeking athletic goals helps maintain a healthy, engaged outlook and is good for the soul. Making travel plans gives us all something to look forward to during these challenging times. In addition to skiing at premier resorts, other options for outdoor skiing adventure include snow-cat skiing, heli-skiing, ski touring, and hut trips. This is the season to try something new and different!Ski With Kim prioritizes your safety by putting precautions in place to deliver an experience that you deserve and will want to be a part of this winter.
Here are the COVID-19 guidelines SWK has established:
- All trips will be small, private groups (up to six people)
- Accommodations will be in private homes with chefs or small boutique hotels.
- All guests and staff will be required to follow the latest COVID-19 regulations.
- There are no limitations to locations, ability, or type of winter adventure.
- For additional flexibility, book dates with Kim now and choose the location later.
- A COVID cancellation policy will be included with all reservations.
- As we navigate covid-19 travel restrictions and ski resort regulations, SWK schedule is tentative and subject to change.
Ski With Kim – When she isn’t at home in Aspen, CO or surfing at her off-the-grid casa in Baja, Mexico — the World, U.S. and South American Extreme Skiing Champion, Kim Reichhelm, can be found on the slopes, just about anywhere in the world, hosting adventurous, exciting and life-changing ski camps. www.skiwithkim.com
Demesne Architecture & Interior Design -How to Create a Refuge in the Home
Designing your home as a sanctuary is more important now than ever. Everyone is looking for simplicity and support right now, as well how to prepare spaces for the ‘new normal.’ Demesne architects Managing Partner Richard Mullen is the source for home trends and ways to create calm design in the home.
Design After Quarantine: What changes will have the greatest impact on our cities? The 20th century impacted the way we lived and designed our cities, accommodating the suburbs, cars and the atomic family. The pandemic and remote work could have substantial effects on how we live, design our cities, and how we interact with one another.
- Residential designers in rural areas are in demand as people flee cities and commercial spaces close as employees work remotely.
- Building or remodeling within the envelope of the home to mentally separate and create spaces that allow them to separate lines blurred between work/home.
- All these changes are driving us toward more remote/cost-effective towns and the need for open spaces in urban areas = what can we do as architects and designers?
- How do we make cities that allow us to congregate and actually feel like it’s meant to be there that people buy into?
Architectural Thoughts During the Pandemic:
- Home As A Sanctuary & Refuge: Despite the amount of space in your home, people typically spend most of their time in a few spaces that occupy about 200 square feet of the home. These are the most used ‘vignettes’ and specific-use ‘comfort’ area.
- Thoughtful Design Replaces Square Footage = Land costs + people being more aware of the environment. More is spent per square foot, but with thoughtful design in a space that is slightly smaller.
- Outdoor Spaces- When the weather is nice, the interplay between interior and exterior spaces increases. including gardens, patios, courtyards, decks, and visual space provided by windows and landscaping.
- Reducing Tech to Create a Sanctuary in the House – Architectural technology will evolve into a home as a “studio” for video conference and phone calls with backdrops and lighting playing a part.
Demesne Architects – With offices in Dallas and Aspen, Demesne has designed boutique hospitality and luxury residential architecture and interiors for over 15 years. demesne.design | Learn more about Demesne Design.
Click here for high-res images of Demesne home projects.
Marble Distilling Co.
Keep Your Spirits Up During the COVID-19 Lock Down at the “Most Sustainable Distillery on the Planet”
NEW! Lighten the mood with Marble’s brand-new spirits and signature drinks:
- After 4 years of aging, MDC has just released a ‘one off’ ‘sunshine barrel’ of 106 proof unfiltered rye. (For whiskey makers, the term ‘sunshine’ means it is a truly special and unique result that requires tasting immediately! This is their most highly rated rye to date.)
- Transport yourself to a Mexican beach in a Mexican EXpresso Martini with a mix of: vanilla vodka, Moonlight EXpresso vodka, spiced dark chocolate, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, simple brown sugar.
- Created expressly for Carbondale’s True Nature Healing Arts spa, boutique and cafe, take a peaceful, deep breath and chill out with the Peace Garden: pear juice, rosemary, lemon, simple syrup.
- Brighten these shorter fall days with the Day Dream Creamsicle this ‘sippable’ concoction of: vanilla vodka, cream, muddled orange, fizzy water.
Founder and Head Distiller, Connie Baker just spoke in Meeker, CO about rural American accelerator programs on behalf of MDC. Baker and the crew at MDC are always willing to share their sustainability practices with other like-minded distilleries, seeing as they are considered the “Most Sustainable Distillery on the Planet.”
NEW! COVID-19 Technology at the Inn: The Distillery Inn has made a significant investment and installed ultraviolet germicidal irradiation in our air ducts, which is one of the most promising decontamination methods for COVID-19. More of the Inn’s amenities and precautions here.
Cozy up to Fall -Come to the Mountains to admire the fall colors in style! Stay 2 nights at The Distillery Inn, luxury five-bedroom Inn in the heart of Carbondale. Stay October 1 through November 19, 2020 and receive a 20% discount on the 2nd night. Sweeten the deal with a bottle of our Moonlight EXpresso to keep you warm and cozy! Two-night minimum stay required; taxes not included.
Your Own Private & Safe Speakeasy -Create your own private speakeasy events at either tasting room location for up to 32 people (Aspen) and 50 people (Carbondale Distillery).
Perfect sweet treat for the holidays: Moonlight EXpresso Cheesecake: Recipe HERE
Marble Distilling is an innovative sustainable distillery with a female founder and distiller who creates award winning spirits and hosts guests at the luxury boutique ‘Distillery Inn’ – the only inn within a distillery. Two tasting rooms located in the heart of historic Aspen and Carbondale, CO. Learn More
Spiro Lyon Glass Casting & Blowing
New Kiln Debut & New Aspen Leaf Designs for 2020
BECOME A GLASSBLOWER! Learn the ancient art of glassblowing in a hands-on private tutorial with experienced professional gaffers. Leave with an ornament, a drinking glass or both. Classes can be expanded to holiday gatherings, group team buildings and are by appointment only at the Spiro Lyon Glass Casting & Blowing Studio located in El Jebel
More info here on classes
NEW DESIGNS! Shop Locally – Holiday gifts made locally in the Roaring Fork Valley. Aspen Leaf Blown Glass Series: wine glasses, vases, candle holders in custom designs, size, shape, and color.
NEW KILN! During the first cold six weeks of 2020, the Spiro Lyon team built a new, hot glass furnace capable of melting 350 pounds of glass to temperatures as hot as 2300 degrees.
- The new kiln is more energy efficient – gas bill has been almost halved!
- The glass is super clean, melting glass pristinely.
- In 10 years, the kiln will pay for itself. They bought a kit from Vermonter John Childs – he sends the molds, instruction books and is available for consultation.
About Spiro Lyon ~ Glass Casting & Blowing | Founded in 1924 by Lee Lyon, Jacqueline Spiro-Balderson partnered with Lyon in 1990, and a few years later, Dylan Balderson joined the Spiro Lyon Glass team with experience in glassblowing and an expertise in woodworking. www.spirolyonglass.com
Aspen Center for Environmental Studies
BioBlitz Book Launch
What species are in your backyard? Are you aware of them? Are you protecting them? These are some of the questions that Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES) hopes you will think about when you read The Hidden Life Around Us. This impactful and beautiful coffee-table book showcases the species of Aspen with stunning photographs and thoughtful text.
- This book grew out of a BioBlitz to survey the species at Hallam Lake Nature Preserve, ACES’s campus in the heart of Aspen. On this twenty-five-acre tract of wetland with a five-acre lake, 422 species have been identified. Eighty-one of those species are showcased in the book through striking color photographs and brief, fascinating descriptions.
- With original and artful photography and illustrations, the text includes a foreword by Bruce Finley, environmental writer for The Denver Post and an essay by acclaimed NatGeo nature photographer and filmmaker Pete McBride as well as essays by ACES’ Adam McCurdy and Chris Lane, this is beyond just a book – this is a project that has potential to bring our community together through interactive nature education.
- HOLIDAY GIFTS/BUY LOCALLY: Book Link: ACES Hidden Life Around Us
WHY IS THIS BOOK IMPORTANT NOW?
AS A SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATION TOOL: With communication and education almost completely virtual and digital right now, this book is a hands-on, interactive educational tool that will help children, families, individuals, second home owners and tourists learn and explore the biodiversity of our surrounding area in a highly tactile manner.
GLOBAL SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVE: This book explains the importance of biodiversity locally and globally. “In order to stave off the mass extinction of species, including our own, we must move swiftly to preserve the biodiversity of our planet,” says Edward O. Wilson in his most impassioned book to date.
NATURE AS SALVE: We are so lucky to be connected to this special Valley. Nature has been and will hopefully continue to be a salve for mental and physical health during uncertain times like the pandemic.
As the days grow shorter and the nights colder, isn’t it the perfect time to drink red wine? New Celebrity Wine Competition: First-ever “Celebrity War of the Red Wines” on Wednesday, October 28 at 8pm EST.
- Facing off are wines by Snoop Dogg, actor Kyle MacLachlan, NFL great Charles Woodson, NBA great Dwayne Wade, reality star and entrepreneur Lisa Vanderpump, and NFL great John Elway.
- Virtual seats will go FAST | FREE registration here.
Mark Oldman’s Celebrity War of the Wines Hits the Tonight Show with Sting & Fallon
ABOUT MARK OLDMAN | Wine expert, author, entrepreneur, speaker, and media personality, Mark Oldman is someone who delights in helping people simplify complex subjects. In the world of wine, he is known for his singular ability to unravel wine’s complexities with a potent blend of entertainment, style, and humor. His award-winning books are considered by many to be best of their kind. More details on Oldman’s seminars here and at markoldman.com.